Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - WE MUST NEVER FORGET


Day 254 - (Today’s Bible readings: Hosea 6; Psalm 71; Romans 6:1-14)

“Rescue me, O my God, from the hand of the wicked... For you, O Lord, are my hope.”  (Psalm 71:4-5 ESV) 

Today is the eighteenth anniversary of September 11, 2001. Most of us, I am sure, remember exactly what we were doing when we first heard the news that our country was under attack. It was a day that filled us with fear, foreboding, sadness and anger.

That evening, like many other congregations around our country and the world, we gathered in church for a special service of the Word and prayer. On the way to church, I passed a gas station with a long line of cars. While our first reaction to the tragedies of 9/11 was to turn to God, others could only think of running out of gas.

What a striking contrast between God’s people and those who do not know Him. Our Bible verse for today is a prayer for help in time of fear, tragedy and uncertainty. “Rescue me, O my God, from the hand of the wicked.”  

In the past eighteen years our world has not gotten safer. We continue to have to deal with terrorism, hatred, war, and all other forms of evil. But Christ is still our Redeemer and our hope. We can still trust in His steadfast love to deliver us. So, on this September 11th, let’s start the day right:

I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen.   (Luther’s Morning Prayer) 

Pastor David Paape 

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105 ), is the theme for this three-year journey through the entire Old Testament once (the Psalms - twice yearly), and the New Testament twice. There will be daily readings from the O.T., Psalms and the N.T. Special days on the church calendar will be highlighted with appropriate readings. This calendar has been compiled by representatives of the Lutheran Church of Canada, the North American Lutheran Church and the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. Please click this link for the daily reading calendar:
https://blogs.lcms.org/2017/lcms-lcc-and-nalc-compile-three-year-schedule-of-daily-bible-readings
Then scroll down to 2019 Bible Reading Calendar and download it if you so wish. The “assigned” daily readings will appear on a daily basis in this blog. May the Lord bless your meditation upon His precious life-giving Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment