Friday, September 13, 2019

Saturday, September 14, 2019 - DON’T REAP THE WHIRLWIND


Day 257 - (Today’s Bible readings: Hosea 9; Psalm 74; Romans 7:7-25)

“For they sow the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind.”  (Hosea 8:7 ESV)

“Topping the list of Israel’s misdeeds is idolatry–their rejection of the Creator and their devotion to calves made of gold. Verse 7 stresses the futility of turning away from God and trusting in idols . One sowing the wind can hardly expect any harvest but a whirlwind. Sadly, we too, begin to fall into idolatry whenever we fear, love, and trust anything or any person more than the true God. Admitting that, we should also remember that the same God threatening to punish idolatry is also the One whose forgiving love and sustaining Spirit never fails.”   (The Lutheran Study Bible, Concordia Publishing House, 2009, page 1438)

Lord, Thee I love with all my heart;
I pray Thee, ne’er from me depart,
With tender mercy cheer me.
Earth has no pleasure I would share.
Yea, heav’n itself were void and bare
If Thou, Lord, wert not near me.
And should my heart for sorrow break,
My trust in Thee can nothing shake.
Thou art the portion I have sought;
Thy precious blood my soul has bought.
Lord Jesus Christ, my God and Lord, my God and Lord,
Forsake me not! I trust Thy Word.
(“Lord, Thee I Love with All My Heart,” Lutheran Service Book #708)

“See” you in church tomorrow!

Heavenly Father, keep me faithful to You so that I do not live an aimless and Christless life, thereby reaping the eternal whirlwind of damnation. I beg this of You for Jesus’ sake. Amen.

Pastor David Paape 

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105 ), is the theme for this three-year journey through the entire Old Testament once (the Psalms - twice yearly), and the New Testament twice. There will be daily readings from the O.T., Psalms and the N.T. Special days on the church calendar will be highlighted with appropriate readings. This calendar has been compiled by representatives of the Lutheran Church of Canada, the North American Lutheran Church and the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. Please click this link for the daily reading calendar:
https://blogs.lcms.org/2017/lcms-lcc-and-nalc-compile-three-year-schedule-of-daily-bible-readings
Then scroll down to 2019 Bible Reading Calendar and download it if you so wish. The “assigned” daily readings will appear on a daily basis in this blog. May the Lord bless your meditation upon His precious life-giving Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment