Monday, November 20, 2017

November 21, 2017 - KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT


Day 325 - Ezekiel 24-26 & James 3

“How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire! And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell... but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so.”  (James 3:5-10 ESV)

Over 20 years I ago I shared a Sunday message based on a text similar to this section from James. On their way home from church that morning, one of our moms asked her five year old son, “What did the pastor say this morning?” His answer was priceless: “I should keep my mouth shut.”

Have there ever been times when you could not believe what came out of your mouth? James is telling us that our words are too often not pleasing to God. Wishing others God’s blessings is surely God-pleasing. But too often, we do just the opposite.

Thank God that Jesus came to pay for all of our sins, including the sin of unholy talk and untamed tongues. And thank God for the example of Jesus. “When he was reviled, he did not revile in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten, but continued entrusting himself to him who judges justly.” (1 Peter 2:23 ESV)

Lord Jesus, please help me to follow Your lead and keep my mouth shut when my silence would be golden. At the same time, I ask You to give me the courage to open my mouth when I have the opportunity to share You with others. Amen. 

Pastor David Paape

Daily Bible Reading Chart
http://www.wholesomewords.org/family/bibleread/truth.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment