Tuesday, April 30, 2019

May 1, 2019 - I SHOULD KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT


Day 121 - (Today’s Bible readings: Proverbs 11:16-31; Psalm 112; Hebrews 12:18-29)

“Whoever belittles his neighbor lacks sense, but a man of understanding remains silent. Whoever goes about slandering reveals secrets, but he who is trustworthy in spirit keeps a thing covered.” (Proverbs 11:12-13 ESV) 

In the catechism’s explanation of the Eighth Commandment, we are encouraged to “defend our neighbor, speak well of him, and explain everything in the kindest way.” How are you doing in this area? Can others trust you to keep a confidence? 

This old quote gives us some advice in combating loose tongues:
"If your lips would keep from slips,
Five things observe with care:
Of whom you speak, to whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where."
--from the 19th Century book THE RULES OF CIVILITY

After a sermon on this topic, a mother asked her five year old son “what did the pastor talk about today?” The youngster responded, “I should keep my mouth shut.” May the Lord help you and me to learn that lesson as well!

Lord, please forgive me for the times my words have hurt others. Help me to choose my words wisely, to put the best construction on everything, and to keep my mouth shut when You want me to.  In Jesus’ saving name. Amen. 

Pastor David Paape 

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105 ), is the theme for this three-year journey through the entire Old Testament once (the Psalms - twice yearly), and the New Testament twice. There will be daily readings from the O.T., Psalms and the N.T. Special days on the church calendar will be highlighted with appropriate readings. This calendar has been compiled by representatives of the Lutheran Church of Canada, the North American Lutheran Church and the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. Please click this link for the daily reading calendar:
https://blogs.lcms.org/2017/lcms-lcc-and-nalc-compile-three-year-schedule-of-daily-bible-readings
Then scroll down to 2019 Bible Reading Calendar and download it if you so wish. The “assigned” daily readings will appear on a daily basis in this blog. May the Lord bless your meditation upon His precious life-giving Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment