Friday, December 9, 2022

Saturday, December 10, 2022 - TIDINGS OF COMFORT AND JOY


"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Day 344 - (Today’s Bible readings: Isaiah 9:1-7; Psalm 132; 2 Corinthians 1:12-22) 

TIDINGS OF COMFORT AND JOY

“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.” (2 Corinthians 1:1-4 ESV)

Paul is attempting to build the Corinthian church up by comforting them. The comfort he is talking about has been given by God as an antidote to the afflictions of life. And what is God’s great source of comfort?  It is the Babe of Bethlehem who was born to be our Savior.  

You can take great comfort in the fact that anyone who repents and believes in Jesus as his/her Savior is forgiven and guaranteed heaven! Let nothing you dismay as you take comfort in the good news proclaimed in this dear Christmas carol:

  God rest ye merry, gentlemen, let nothing you dismay,
  Remember Christ our Savior was born on Christmas Day,
  To save us all from Satan’s power when we were gone astray,
  O tidings of comfort and joy, comfort and joy,
  O tidings of comfort and joy.
  (“God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen”)

Dear heavenly Father, thank You for the comforting message of reconciliation that You give to all who repent and believe. Thank You that Jesus was born to save us all from Satan’s power. Please use me to share this comforting message with others. In Jesus’ comforting name. Amen.

“See” you in church tomorrow!

Pastor David Paape

No comments:

Post a Comment