Saturday, December 10, 2022

Sunday, December 11, 2022 - REJOICE IN GOD’S MERCY


"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Day 345 - (Today’s Bible readings: Isaiah 98:10:4; Psalm 133; 2 Corinthians 1:23-2:11) 

REJOICE IN GOD’S MERCY

“Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgression.” (Psalm 51:1 ESV) 

Self-reliant Americans aren’t too keen on needing mercy, especially in these weeks before Christmas as we scurry about lost in the business of the season. We like to think we can make it on our own. However, when it comes to life’s biggest challenge, we can’t even come close to making it on our own. We can’t even begin to pay for one sin on our own. “Nobody’s perfect” we like to say. Even though that is true, what do we do individually about our lack of perfection? 

In Psalm 51 King David shows us where to go to find a solution to our sin problem. His words of confession, pleading with God for forgiveness, are to be our words too. You see, this is precisely why Jesus came down to earth that first Christmas and why He went to the cross... to wash us and make us whiter than snow...to fill us with joy and gladness. And what is our response to be? 

  1 Now sing we, now rejoice,
     Now raise to heav'n our voice;
     He from whom joy streameth
     Poor in a manger lies;
     Not so brightly beameth
     The sun in yonder skies.
     Thou my Savior art!
     Thou my Savior art!

  2 Come from on high to me;
     I cannot rise to Thee.
     Cheer my wearied spirit,
     O pure and holy Child;
     Through Thy grace and merit,
     Blest Jesus, Lord most mild,
     Draw me unto Thee!
     Draw me unto Thee!

  3 Now through His Son doth shine
     The Father's grace divine.
     Death was reigning o'er us
     Through sin and vanity
     Till He opened for us
     A bright eternity.
     May we praise Him there!
     May we praise Him there!

  4 Oh, where shall joy be found?
     Where but on heav'nly ground?
     Where the angels singing
     With all His saints unite,
     Sweetest praises bringing
     In heav'nly joy and light,
     Oh, that we were there!
     Oh, that we were there!
     (Now Sing We, Now Rejoice, Lutheran Service Book #386)
    
We pray:
Now sing we, now rejoice, now raise to heaven our voice; Thou my Savior art! Lord I do praise and thank You for Your undeserved mercy showered upon me. In these weeks leading up to the celebration of Your nativity, remind me of the mystery and glory of Your birth, and use me to share this treasure with those around me. In Your precious name, O Lord. Amen.

“See you at the Communion rail this morning!”

Pastor David Paape

No comments:

Post a Comment