Saturday, December 17, 2022

Saturday, December 17, 2022 - OF THE FATHER’S LOVE BEGOTTEN

 

"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)
 
Saturday, December 17, 2022 - Day 351 - (Today’s Bible readings: Isaiah 14:12-23; Psalm 138; 2 Corinthians 6:14-7:1)

OF THE FATHER’S LOVE BEGOTTEN

1 I give you thanks, O Lord, with my whole heart;
    before the gods I sing your praise;
2 I bow down toward your holy temple
    and give thanks to your name for 
    your steadfast love and your faithfulness,
    for you have exalted above all things
    your name and your word.
3 On the day I called, you answered me;
    my strength of soul you increased.

4 All the kings of the earth shall give you thanks, O Lord,
    for they have heard the words of your mouth,
5 and they shall sing of the ways of the Lord,
    for great is the glory of the Lord.
6 For though the Lord is high, he regards the lowly,
    but the haughty he knows from afar.

7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
    you preserve my life;
you stretch out your hand against the wrath of my enemies,
    and your right hand delivers me.
8 The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me;
    your steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever.
    Do not forsake the work of your hands. (Psalm 138 ESV)

The Psalmist has given us a picture of our God’s love for mankind, a divine love that knows no end. He also focuses on the opportunity that we have to respond with hymns of praise for His great glory. The hymn writer does the same thing is this precious Christmas hymn:

1. Of the Father's love begotten
Ere the worlds began to be,
He is Alpha and Omega,
He the source, the ending He,
Of the things that are, that have been,
And that future years shall see
Evermore and evermore.

2. Oh, that birth forever blessed,
When the virgin, full of grace,
By the Holy Ghost conceiving,
Bore the Savior of our race,
And the babe, the world's Redeemer,
First revealed His sacred face
Evermore and evermore.

3. This is He whom seers in old time
Chanted of with one accord,
Whom the voices of the prophets
Promised in their faithful word.
Now He shines, the long-expected;
Let creation praise its Lord
Evermore and evermore.

4. O ye heights of heav'n, adore Him;
Angel hosts, His praises sing,
Pow'rs, dominions, bow before Him
And extol our God and King.
Let no tongue on earth be silent,
Ev'ry voice in concert ring
Evermore and evermore.

5. Christ, to Thee, with God the Father,
And, O Holy Ghost, to Thee
Hymn and chant and high thanksgiving
And unending praises be,
Honor, glory, and dominion,
And eternal victory
Evermore and evermore.
(Of the Father’s Love Begotten, Lutheran Service Book #384)

Link to the hymn: https://youtu.be/cOF9JLJkPis

I give You thanks, O Lord God heavenly Father, with my whole heart, for the precious gift of Your Son Jesus. May my preparations for Christmas be an expression of unending praise, honor and glory to Him who is my Savior and my Lord. Amen.

“See” you in church tomorrow!

Pastor David Paape

No comments:

Post a Comment