Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Wednesday, December 21, 2022 - CHEERFUL LIVING


"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Wednesday, December 21, 2022 - Day 355 - (Today’s Bible readings: Isaiah 18:1-7; Psalm 142; 2 Corinthians 9:6-15)

CHEERFUL LIVING
“The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.” (2 Corinthians 9:6-7 ESV) 

Paul is giving us a partial description of cheerful Christian living. We who have been given everything by means of the death and resurrection of Christ, now get to respond in cheerful thanksgiving. He who gave us His best, now expects us to return our best to Him, and to do it joyfully. And what is it that He expects us to give? The best of our time, talent, treasure and testimony. The third stanza of yet another favorite Christmas carol reminds of the Wisemen and their cheerful response to the birth of Jesus. 

1. What child is this, who, laid to rest,
    On Mary's lap is sleeping?
    Whom angels greet with anthems sweet
    While shepherds watch are keeping?
    This, this is Christ the king,
    Whom shepherds guard and angels sing;
    Haste, haste to bring Him laud,
    The babe, the son of Mary!

2. Why lies He in such mean estate
    Where ox and ass are feeding?
    Good Christian, fear; for sinners here
    The silent Word is pleading.
    Nails, spear shall pierce Him through,
    The cross be borne for me, for you;
    Hail, hail the Word made flesh,
    The babe, the son of Mary!

3. So bring Him incense, gold, and myrrh: 
    Come, peasant, king, to own Him. 
    The King of kings salvation brings; 
    Let loving hearts enthrone Him. 
    Raise, raise the song on high, 
    The virgin sings her lullaby; 
    Joy, joy, for Christ is born, 
    The babe, the Son of Mary!
    (“What Child Is This,Lutheran Service Book #370)

Lord Jesus Christ, thank You for giving Your best to me. Please help me to thankfully give my best back to You, and to do it cheerfully. Amen.

Pastor David Paape

No comments:

Post a Comment