Thursday, January 9, 2020

January 10, 2020 - NOTHING ON MY OWN


Day 10 - (Today’s Bible readings: Isaiah 30:18-33; Psalm 9; John 5:18-29)

NOTHING ON MY OWN

30 “I can do nothing on my own. As I hear, I judge, and my judgment is just, because I seek not my own will but the will of him who sent me... 36b For the works that the Father has given me to accomplish, the very works that I am doing, bear witness about me that the Father has sent me.” (John 5:30&36b ESV)

Jesus is teaching us that He is all about seeking the will of His heavenly Father - “him who sent me.” For Jesus, it was all about doing works that fulfill God the Father’s plan for His life and for ours. 

Jesus said: “I can do nothing on my own.” This was brought home to me in yesterday’s worship service when I found myself confused and not able to proclaim the Word as clearly and emphatically as I would have liked. 

We would all like to have everything go perfectly well every day. But the Lord does not guarantee that. David records what the Lord does guarantee: “My times are in His hands.” (Psalm 31:15). 

Since Jesus died for our sins and therefore guarantees forgiveness and heaven to all and any who repent and believe, He certainly can lead us through any of the challenges that life may throw our way.

So let’s begin this new day with this prayer of faith and submission to the God who loves us with an unending and peace-instilling love.

I thank you, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen. (Luther’s Morning Prayer)

Pastor David Paape 

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105 ), is the theme for this three-year journey through the entire Old Testament once (the Psalms - twice yearly), and the New Testament twice. There will be daily readings from the O.T., Psalms and the N.T. Special days on the church calendar will be highlighted with appropriate readings. This calendar has been compiled by representatives of the Lutheran Church of Canada, the North American Lutheran Church and the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. Please click this link for the daily reading calendar:
https://blogs.lcms.org/2017/lcms-lcc-and-nalc-compile-three-year-schedule-of-daily-bible-readings
Then scroll down to 2019 Bible Reading Calendar and download it if you so wish. The “assigned” daily readings will appear on a daily basis in this blog. May the Lord bless your meditation upon His precious life-giving Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment