Wednesday, January 22, 2020

January 23, 2020 - PRAYING FOR OTHERS


Day 23 - (Today’s Bible readings: Isaiah 40:24-31; Psalm 21; John 9:24-41)

PRAYING FOR OTHERS

“Will you indeed sweep away the righteous with the wicked?”  (Genesis 18:23)

Abraham’s fervent prayer for Sodom shows his great concern for others, while his manner of prayer shows his great respect for God.

23 Then Abraham drew near and said, “Will you indeed sweep away the righteous with the wicked? 24 Suppose there are fifty righteous within the city. Will you then sweep away the place and not spare it for the fifty righteous who are in it? 25 Far be it from you to do such a thing, to put the righteous to death with the wicked, so that the righteous fare as the wicked! Far be that from you! Shall not the Judge of all the earth do what is just?” 26 And the Lord said, “If I find at Sodom fifty righteous in the city, I will spare the whole place for their sake.”

Abraham continues his prayerful negotiation until he gets down to God agreeing to spare Sodom from destruction if 10 believers can be found in the city. 

What we learn today is the importance of praying for others, even unbelievers. Abraham’s concern was for the city of Sodom, the object of God’s impending destruction because “their sin was very grave.” (v 17)

Do you pray for others?
Do you pray for those who are different than you?
Do you pray for those who are giving you are a hard time?

Listen to Jesus: “But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.”  (Matthew 5:44)

So, pray....

Lord, hear my prayer,
O Lord, hear my prayer;
When I call answer me.
O Lord, hear my prayer,
O Lord, hear my prayer;
Come and listen to me.
(O Lord, Hear My Prayer, Lutheran Service Book, CPH #780)

O Lord, hear my prayer for all who are not walking with You. As You have made me Your child by the power of the Holy Spirit, so reach others by the same means of grace. Yes, please have mercy on all of us poor miserable sinners. In Jesus’ saving name. Amen.

Pastor David Paape 

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105 ), is the theme for this three-year journey through the entire Old Testament once (the Psalms - twice yearly), and the New Testament twice. There will be daily readings from the O.T., Psalms and the N.T. Special days on the church calendar will be highlighted with appropriate readings. This calendar has been compiled by representatives of the Lutheran Church of Canada, the North American Lutheran Church and the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. Please click this link for the daily reading calendar:
https://blogs.lcms.org/2017/lcms-lcc-and-nalc-compile-three-year-schedule-of-daily-bible-readings
Then scroll down to 2019 Bible Reading Calendar and download it if you so wish. The “assigned” daily readings will appear on a daily basis in this blog. May the Lord bless your meditation upon His precious life-giving Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment