Thursday, January 16, 2020

January 17, 2020 - ARE YOU LISTENING TO JESUS?


Day 17 - (Today’s Bible readings: Isaiah 37:1-13; Psalm 16; John 7:37-52)

ARE YOU LISTENING TO JESUS?

The officers then came to the chief priests and Pharisees, who said to them, “Why did you not bring him?” The officers answered, “No one ever spoke like this man!” The Pharisees answered them, “Have you also been deceived?” (John 7:45-47 ESV)

 “No one ever spoke like this man!”  Those sent to arrest Jesus return empty-handed and confused. They had never heard anyone like Jesus before. They didn’t understand what He meant by:

“I will be with you a little longer, and then I am going to him who sent me. You will seek me and you will not find me. Where I am you cannot come.” (John 7:33-34 ESV)

“If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink.” (John 7:37b ESV)

There was a division among them. Some thought He was a prophet, others thought He was the Messiah. Some wanted to arrest Him, but it was not His time yet.

“No one ever spoke like this man!” (John 7:46 ESV) Can you, too, make this statement? I hope and pray that there is no confusion on your part, for Jesus is the only one who has said:

“Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” (Matthew 11:28 ESV)

“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.” (John 10:11 ESV)

“I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?” (John 11:25 ESV)

These promises from Jesus were spoken to you. Are you listening?

Dearest Lord Jesus, thank You for speaking these life-giving words for me. May the Holy Spirit keep my ears open to all that You have to say for this life and the next. Amen.

Pastor David Paape 

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105 ), is the theme for this three-year journey through the entire Old Testament once (the Psalms - twice yearly), and the New Testament twice. There will be daily readings from the O.T., Psalms and the N.T. Special days on the church calendar will be highlighted with appropriate readings. This calendar has been compiled by representatives of the Lutheran Church of Canada, the North American Lutheran Church and the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. Please click this link for the daily reading calendar:
https://blogs.lcms.org/2017/lcms-lcc-and-nalc-compile-three-year-schedule-of-daily-bible-readings
Then scroll down to 2019 Bible Reading Calendar and download it if you so wish. The “assigned” daily readings will appear on a daily basis in this blog. May the Lord bless your meditation upon His precious life-giving Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment