Sunday, March 31, 2024

Monday, April 1, 2024 - SHARING THE RESURRECTION NEWS


 
"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Monday, April 1, 2024 - Day 92 (Through the Bible in a year readings for today: Judges 8,9;Luke 8:22-56)

SHARING THE RESURRECTION NEWS

Now after the Sabbath, toward the dawn of the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to see the tomb. 2 And behold, there was a great earthquake, for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven and came and rolled back the stone and sat on it. 3 His appearance was like lightning, and his clothing white as snow. 4 And for fear of him the guards trembled and became like dead men. 5 But the angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified. 6 He is not here, for he has risen, as he said. Come, see the place where he lay. 7 Then go quickly and tell his disciples that he has risen from the dead, and behold, he is going before you to Galilee; there you will see him. See, I have told you.” 8 So they departed quickly from the tomb with fear and great joy, and ran to tell his disciples.  (Matthew 28:1-8ESV)

When they discovered that Jesus had risen from the dead, the women could not keep the good news to themselves. They ran to share their joy with the disciples!

Some years ago, during my walk, I came into contact with 15 individuals, 10 of them sitting in a driveway chatting. When one of those folks said “Happy Easter, I responded with “Christ is risen,” hoping to hear the ancient response, “He is risen indeed!” Instead I heard an “Amen” and “Alleluia.” The other 3 encounters were even more discouraging, a laughing “yeah.” It was not until I ran into a couple from a sister LCMS congregation that I heard the familiar Easter response.

It really doesn’t surprise you, does it? You live in the same world I do, where the mere mention of Christ causes people to feel uncomfortable, if not offended. Many refuse to believe, even though some One (our dear Lord Jesus) has risen from the dead.

In spite of the negative responses I may encounter when I mention the name of my Savior, I am still going to do so. Witnessing is what we are called to do, isn’t it? No, people do not need to respond to me with the right words. I just want the opportunity to share how much Jesus means to me.

After referring to the resurrection with a clerk, I asked if he was a Christian. He said, “Yes, but I’m not into it as much as you are.” Well, at least he professed to being a Christian.

What is it that we Christians know to be the truth?

   1. I know that my Redeemer lives; 
What comfort this sweet sentence gives!
He lives, He lives, who once was dead;  
He lives, my ever-living head.
 
   2. He lives triumphant from the grave, 
He lives eternally to save,
He lives all glorious in the sky, 
He lives exalted there on high.

   3. He lives to bless me with His love;
He lives to plead for me above;
He lives my hungry soul to feed;
He lives to help in time of need.

   4. He lives to grant me rich supply;
He lives to guide me with His eye;
He lives to comfort me when faint;
He lives to hear my soul’s complaint.

   5 He lives to silence all my fears, 
He lives to wipe away my tears,
He lives to calm my troubled heart, 
He lives all blessings to impart.

   6. He lives my wise heav’nly friend;
He lives and loves me to the end;
He lives, and while He lives, I’ll sing;
He lives my Prophet, Priest and King.

   7. He lives and grants me daily breath; 
He lives, and I shall conquer death;
He lives my mansion to prepare; 
He lives to bring me safely there.

   8. He lives, all glory to His name!  
He lives, my Jesus, still the same.
Oh, the sweet joy this sentence gives, 
"I know that my Redeemer lives!"
        (“I Know That My Redeemer Lives”   LSB 461)

Dearest Lord Savior, may my response to Your empty tomb be like that of the women that first Easter morn. Please use me to go and tell, so that others may have the same gifts of forgiveness and heaven You so graciously bestowed upon the whole world. Amen. 

“Christ is risen!”

Pastor David Paape

Daily Bible Reading Chart covering the entire Bible in one year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment