Friday, March 22, 2024

Saturday, March 23, 2024 - JESUS IS THE ONE


"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Saturday, March 23, 2024 - Day 83 (Through the Bible in a year readings for today: Joshua 11-13; Luke 4:1-32)

JESUS IS THE ONE

“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
    because he has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives
    and recovering of sight to the blind,
    to set at liberty those who are oppressed,
to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.”
And he rolled up the scroll (Isaiah) and gave it back to the attendant and sat down. And the eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on him. And he began to say to them, “Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing.”  (Luke 4:18-21 ESV)

When Jesus returned home to Nazareth, His first stop was the local synagogue where He shared the words of today’s devotion. His concluding words let His hearers know that He is the One, the promised Messiah. Look again at what the Messiah came to do.

● Proclaim good news to the poor.
● Proclaim liberty to the captives.
● Provide recovery of sight to the blind.
● Set at liberty those who are oppressed.
● Proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.

Jesus did come to proclaim the mercy of His Father to the poor, captive, blind and oppressed. However, the ultimate mission His Father sent Him on involved a cross, and bitter suffering and death as our substitute. We now receive the Lord’s favor through faith in Jesus who has set us free, liberating us from sin, death and the devil. 

   1. Upon the cross extended
See, world, your Lord suspended,
Your Savior yields His breath.
The Prince of Life from heaven
Himself hath freely given
To shame and blows and bitter death.

   4. I caused Your grief and sighing
By evils multiplying
As countless as the sands.
I caused the woes unnumbered
With which You soul is cumbered,
Your sorrows raised by wicked hands.

   5. Your soul in griefs unbounded,
Your head with thorns surrounded,
You died to ransom me.
The cross for me enduring,
The crown for me securing,
You healed my wounds and set me free.

   7. Your cross I place before me;
Its saving pow'r restore me,
Sustain me in the test.
It will, when life is ending,
Be guiding and attending
My way to Your eternal rest.
(“Upon the Cross Extended,” Lutheran Service Book #453)

Thank You, Lord Jesus, for being the promised One, the Messiah, my Lord and Savior. May all that I do and say today glorify Your name and be used by the Holy Spirit to witness to others. Amen.

“See” you in church tomorrow morning or tonight!

Pastor David Paape

Daily Bible Reading Chart covering the entire Bible in one year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment