Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Wednesday, March 27, 2024 - HOLY WEDNESDAY


"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Wednesday, March 27, 2024 - Day 87 (Through the Bible in a year readings for today: Joshua 21,22; Luke 6:1-26)

HOLY WEDNESDAY

Although scripture doesn't affirm what the Lord did on Holy Wednesday, theologians consider that after two days in Jerusalem, Jesus and His disciples used this day to rest in Bethany in expectation of Passover.

It is traditionally believed that Judas agreed to betray Jesus on the Wednesday before Easter Sunday.

"Then one of the twelve, called Judas Iscariot, went unto the chief priests, And said unto them, What will ye give me, and I will deliver him unto you? And they covenanted with him for thirty pieces of silver. And from that time he sought opportunity to betray him." (Matthew 26:14-16)

"Now the feast of unleavened bread drew nigh, which is called the Passover. And the chief priests and scribes sought how they might kill him; for they feared the people. Then entered Satan into Judas surnamed Iscariot, being of the number of the twelve. And he went his way, and communed with the chief priests and captains, how he might betray him unto them. And they were glad, and covenanted to give him money." (Luke 22:1-5)

Judas, what a sad story! Yet he played a huge role in Jesus’ story. Therefore, he also played a huge role in your story. The betrayal of Jesus was necessary because it put things in motion for His death on the cross in payment for your sins.

  On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross, 
  The emblem of suffering and shame;  
  And I love that old cross where the dearest and best
  For a world of lost sinners was slain.  
  So I'll cherish the old rugged cross, 
  'Til my trophies at last I lay down; 
  I will cling to the old rugged cross, 
  And exchange it some day for a crown.

Thank You, Lord Jesus, for turning Your betrayal into the ultimate good for sinners like me. Thank You for the promise of a crown in eternity with You. Amen.

Pastor David Paape

Daily Bible Reading Chart covering the entire Bible in one year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment