Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Wednesday, March 6, 2024 - SELFIE OR SELFLESS

 

"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Wednesday, March 6, 2024 - Day 66 (Through the Bible in a year readings for today: 
Deuteronomy 3,4; Mark 11:20-33)

SELFIE OR SELFLESS

You shall not add to the word that I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God that I command you.  (Deuteronomy 4:2 ESV)

The invention of the smart phone has created a very popular and narcissistic past time... taking your own picture, or as it is more commonly know, taking a selfie. 

The ultimate “selfie” is when we replace God on the throne of our hearts with ourselves.  
In the Old Testament reading for today from the book of Deuteronomy, Moses commands obedience. 

You shall not add to the word that I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God that I command you.

The problem we have with this is the fact that we like the ultimate “selfie.” We like taking control of our lives. Oh, how we need the Lenten emphasis upon serious introspection and repentance! When we recognize our sinfulness, we are ready to take these words to heart:

“Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.” (Hebrews 12:2)

It is all about proper focus and direction - focusing our attention on Jesus and not on the person we see in the mirror, or on our phones!

1. Upon the cross extended
    See, world, your Lord suspended,
    Your Savior yields His breath.
    The Prince of Life from heaven
    Himself hath freely given
    To shame and blows and bitter death.

2. Come, see these things and ponder,
    Your soul will fill with wonder
    As blood streams from each pore.
    Through grief beyond all knowing
    From His great heart came flowing
    Sighs welling from its deepest core.

3. Who is it, Lord, that bruised You?
    Who has so sore abused You
    And caused You all Your woe?
    We all must make confession
    Of sin and dire transgression
    While You no ways of evil know.

4. I caused Your grief and sighing
    By evils multiplying
    As countless as the sands.
    I caused the woes unnumbered
    With which You soul is cumbered,
    Your sorrows raised by wicked hands.

5. Your soul in griefs unbounded,    
    Your head with thorns surrounded,
    You died to ransom me.
    The cross for me enduring,
    The crown for me securing,
     You healed my wounds and set me free.

6. Your cords of love, my Savior,
    Bind me to You forever,
    I am no longer mine.
    To You I gladly tender
    All that my life can render
    And all I have to You resign.    

7. Your cross I place before me;
    Its saving pow'r restore me,
    Sustain me in the test.
    It will, when life is ending,
    Be guiding and attending
    My way to Your eternal rest.
    (Upon the Cross Extended LSB 453)

Heavenly Father, thank You for sending Jesus to the cross to selflessly pay for my sin of self-centeredness. Help me to keep my eyes  focused on Jesus and His cross. Amen.

Pastor David Paape

No comments:

Post a Comment