Sunday, March 24, 2024

Monday, March 25, 2024 - HOLY MONDAY

 

"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Monday, March 25, 2024 - Day 85 (Through the Bible in a year readings for today: Joshua 16-18; Luke 5:1-16)

HOLY MONDAY

18 In the morning, as he was returning to the city, he became hungry. 19 And seeing a fig tree by the wayside, he went to it and found nothing on it but only leaves. And he said to it, “May no fruit ever come from you again!” And the fig tree withered at once. 20 When the disciples saw it, they marveled, saying, “How did the fig tree wither at once?” 21 And Jesus answered them, “Truly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what has been done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ it will happen. 22 And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.”  (Matthew 21:18-22 ESV)

How did Jesus occupy His time from Palm Sunday until Maundy Thursday? He drove the money changers out of the temple (Matthew 21:12-17). And then we have Holy Monday. What do we learn from Jesus encounter with the barren fig tree? 

1. The nation of Israel and their leaders we spiritually barren.

2. We remember that while we are saved by faith in Jesus and not by our works, faith is never alone.

 “8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” (Ephesians 2:8-10)

3. God promises to answer our prayers.

  22 And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.” 

And what is the ultimate focus of our faith? 

 18 For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. (1 Corinthians 1:18)

As we journey toward Good Friday, may we remember all that Christ has done for us.

Lord Jesus, thank You for reminding me that I cannot save myself. Please further reminder me that my faith in You will show in my life as I bear fruit for You by helping others in Your name. Amen. 

Pastor David Paape

Daily Bible Reading Chart covering the entire Bible in one year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment