Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Thursday, March 28, 2024 - A VERY FULL EVENING

 

"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Thursday, March 28, 2024 - Day 88  

A VERY FULL EVENING

Today is Maundy Thursday, a very full day for our Lord Jesus as He fulfills His soul-saving mission. 

The name Maundy comes from the Latin, mandatum, translated “command.” After washing His disciples’ feet, Jesus gave us this command:

“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.” (John 13:34)

Next, our Lord further shows His love for us by instituting Holy Communion in which He serves us His body and blood. What precious treasures He offers us here:

Forgiveness of sins
Communion with God and with His people
Assurance of His constant presence with us
Preview of the heavenly banquet 

The scene then switches to the Garden of Gethsemane, where Jesus prays:

And going a little farther, he fell on the ground and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him. And he said, “Abba, Father, all things are possible for you. Remove this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.”  (Mark 14:35-36 ESV)

Judas then arrives and betrays Jesus!

47 While he was still speaking, Judas came, one of the twelve, and with him a great crowd with swords and clubs, from the chief priests and the elders of the people. 48 Now the betrayer had given them a sign, saying, “The one I will kiss is the man; seize him.” 49 And he came up to Jesus at once and said, “Greetings, Rabbi!” And he kissed him. 50 Jesus said to him, “Friend, do what you came to do.” Then they came up and laid hands on Jesus and seized him. (Matthew 26:47-50 ESV)

Peter reacts:

51 And behold, one of those who were with Jesus stretched out his hand and drew his sword and struck the servant of the high priest and cut off his ear. 52 Then Jesus said to him, “Put your sword back into its place. For all who take the sword will perish by the sword. 53 Do you think that I cannot appeal to my Father, and he will at once send me more than twelve legions of angels? (Matthew 26:51-53 ESV)

The disciples all flee and Jesus is dragged off to face a Jewish kangaroo court. It is here that Peter denies that he even knows Jesus, and he does this three times.

74 Then he began to invoke a curse on himself and to swear, “I do not know the man.” And immediately the rooster crowed. 75 And Peter remembered the saying of Jesus, “Before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times.” And he went out and wept bitterly. (Matthew 26:74-75 ESV)

1. Go to dark Gethsemane, 
    All who feel the tempter’s pow’r;
    Your Redeemer’s conflict see. 
    Watch with Him one bitter hour;
    Turn not from His griefs away; 
    Learn from Jesus Christ to pray.

2. Follow to the judgment hall, 
    View the Lord of life arraigned;
    Oh, the wormwood and the gall! 
    Oh, the pangs His soul sustained!
    Shun not suff’ring, shame, or loss; 
    learn from Him to bear the cross.

3. Calv’ry’s mournful mountain climb; 
    There, adoring at His feet,
    Mark that miracle of time, 
    God’s own sacrifice complete.
    “It is finished!” hear Him cry; 
    Learn from Jesus Christ to die.

4. Early hasten to the tomb 
    Where they laid His breathless clay;
    All is solitude and gloom. 
    Who has taken Him away?
    Christ is ris’n! He meets our eyes. 
    Savior, teach us so to rise.
    (“Go To Dark Gethsemane” LSB 436)

Lord Jesus, thank You for the blessings You gave us on Maundy Thursday. May the Holy Spirit lead me to follow You this Holy Week and always. Amen.

“See” you in church tonight!

Pastor David Paape

Daily Bible Reading Chart covering the entire Bible in one year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment