Monday, April 11, 2016

April 12, 2016 - Day 103 - GOOD FOR EVIL

1 Samuel Tuesday (chapters 21-25)



He said to David, “You are more righteous than I, for you have repaid me good, whereas I have repaid you evil.”  (1 Samuel 24:17 ESV)

David finds himself in the position to exact revenge on his tormentor, King Saul. However David is not interested in pay back.

“Behold, this day your eyes have seen how the Lord gave you today into my hand in the cave. And some told me to kill you, but I spared you. I said, ‘I will not put out my hand against my lord, for he is the Lord's anointed.’” (1 Samuel 24:10 ESV)

An amazed Saul responds to David’s mercy and respect by saying, “You are more righteous than I, for you have repaid me good, whereas I have repaid you evil.”

The key to David’s honorable lack of returning evil with evil was his faith, trust and obedience directed to God. He knew what Peter would later write is absolutely true. Blessings do not flow from evil.

“Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing.” (1 Peter 3:9 ESV)

May you and I, as followers of Jesus, always respond to evil with His goodness!

Father in heaven, thank You for Your goodness and mercy showered upon me in spite of the evil ways I have treated you. As you have responded to my sin with the goodness of Jesus, so may I respond to evil done to me with Your love showered on me from His cross. In Jesus’ good and saving name. Amen.

Pastor David Paape

The following link is to the 52 Week Reading Plan Bible upon which these devotions are based.  http://www.bible-reading.com/bible-plan.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment