Tuesday, April 19, 2016

April 20, 2016 - Day 111 - A MIGHTY FORTRESS IS OUR GOD

April 20, 2016 - Day 111 - Psalms Wednesday (chapters 45-47)  
                                           


A MIGHTY FORTRESS IS OUR GOD

1 God is our refuge and strength,
    a very present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way,
10 “Be still, and know that I am God...”
11 The Lord of hosts is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah  (Psalm 46 ESV)  

At the Imperial Diet held in Worms, Germany on April 18, 1521, Martin Luther declared God to be his refuge and strength: "Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason - I do not accept the authority of the popes and councils, for they have contradicted each other - my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not recant anything for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. God help me. Amen."

You also have a mighty fortress! You, too, can take refuge in God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.

A mighty Fortress is our God, A trusty Shield and Weapon;
He helps us free from ev'ry need That hath us now o'ertaken.
The old evil Foe  Now means deadly woe;  Deep guild and great might
Are his dread arms in fight;  On earth is not his equal.
(A Mighty Fortress Is Our God, The Lutheran Service Book, CPH, #656-1)

Lord God, thank You for being my mighty fortress and my trusty shield and weapon. Please continue to protect this penitent sinner. In Jesus’ name. Amen. 

Pastor Dave Paape

The following link is to the 52 Week Reading Plan Bible upon which these devotions are based.  http://www.bible-reading.com/bible-plan.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment