Saturday, April 16, 2016

April 17, 2016 - Day 108 - I AM WHAT I AM

1 Corinthians Sunday (chapters 15-16)                                                   

“For I am the least of the apostles, unworthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am.”  (1 Corinthians 15:9-10 ESV)

“I am what I am, and that's all that I am.” So says the cartoon character Popeye. His bravado is based on his assessment of his own strength, enhanced by spinach. Many people feel the same way. Their credo is “you have to pull yourself up by your bootstraps.”

While Paul’s words sound similar to Popeye’s, there is one huge difference. “By the grace of God I am what I am.” Paul gives all credit for the good in his life to the grace of God. It started when Saul, an effective persecutor of the followers of Jesus, was confronted by the risen Savior on the road to Damascus. Jesus changed Paul into a committed follower and one of the most effective evangelists of all time.  And, once again, for Paul it was all about God’s grace, His undeserved blessings showered upon him through Jesus.

“For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.” (Ephesians 2:8-9 ESV)

By grace I'm saved, grace free and boundless;
My soul, believe and doubt it not.
Why stagger at this word of promise?
Hath Scripture ever falsehood taught?
No! Then this word must true remain;
By grace you too will life obtain.
(By Graced I’m Saved, The Lutheran Service Book, CPH 2006, #566)

Lord, thank You for making me what I am in Jesus. Yes, thank You for making me Your precious, blood-bought, baptized, forgiven, heaven-bound child. Amen.

“See” you at the Communion table this morning!

Pastor David Paape

The following link is to the 52 Week Reading Plan Bible upon which these devotions are based.  http://www.bible-reading.com/bible-plan.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment