Wednesday, August 10, 2016

August 11, 2016 - PRIDE


Day 224 - Proverbs Thursday (chapter 16)

“Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.” (Proverbs 16:18 ESV)

Pride is a big problem with tragic consequences. The best personal example I have comes from my wresting days at Concordia - Milwaukee. Prior to one particular meet, I noticed my opponent warming up. In an expression of over-confidence, I told my coach that he was going to see the fastest pin of the day. I was right; however, I was the one who got pinned. My pride went before my loss.

Spiritually, the results of our stubborn pride are far worse. It can lead to falling away from the Lord and heading for hell. I heard of a well-known TV evangelist’s comment that reflects this: “I am not a poor, miserable sinner.” Talk about pride that can lead to a big fall! In humble confession of our sins, we are granted the one gift we all desperately need--absolution.

Lord, please keep me humble so that I can hear Your words of forgiveness, and fill me with the extreme joy of being Your forgiven child. In Jesus’ saving name. Amen. 

Pastor David Paape 

The following link is to the 52 Week Bible Reading Plan upon which these devotions are based.  http://www.bible-reading.com/bible-plan.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment