Saturday, August 20, 2016

August 21, 2016 - YOUR PRICELESS TREASURE


Day 234 - 1 Timothy Sunday (chapters 4-6)

"But godliness with contentment is great gain, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content... For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils.”  (1 Timothy 6:6-8,10 ESV)

“Rather than being content with what we have, we by nature covet the things we do not have. Those who covet often see money as a wonderful solution to all of life’s problems. But those who love money are in grave danger; they risk losing their faith in Christ. Our Savior has blessed us with the richness of His priceless salvation. Nothing can separate us from His love. As He tenderly cares for us through His word of promise, we are able to enjoy lives of godliness and contentment. All that we can take with us when we leave this world is the life and immortality that Jesus has given us through faith–and that is more than enough!” (The Lutheran Study Bible, CPH, 2009, page 2077)

Hymn writer Johann Franck put these priceless thoughts to music:

4. Hence, all earthly treasure!
Jesus is my Pleasure, Jesus is my Choice.
Hence, all empty glory!
Naught to me thy story
Told with tempting voice.
Pain or loss, Or shame or cross,
Shall not from my Savior move me
Since He deigns to love me

6. Hence, all fear and sadness!
For the Lord of gladness, Jesus, enters in.
Those who love the Father,
Though the storms may gather,
Still have peace within.
Yea, whate'er I here must bear,
Thou art still my purest Pleasure,
Jesus, priceless Treasure!
(Jesus, Priceless Treasure, Luther Service Book, CPH, 2006, #743)

Dear Lord Jesus, thank You for being my truest Friend and my priceless treasure. Please help me to always remember this comforting truth, especially when the shiny bobbles of this world seem so alluring. Amen.

“See” you at the Communion table this morning!

Pastor David Paape 

The following link is to the 52 Week Bible Reading Plan upon which these devotions are based.  http://www.bible-reading.com/bible-plan.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment