Saturday, August 13, 2016

August 14, 2016 - CHIEF OF SINNERS


Day 227 - 1 Timothy Sunday (chapters 1-3)

“The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am foremost.” (1 Timothy 1:15 ESV)

This verse gives everlasting hope and comfort to sinners like you and me. In the King James Version of the Bible, the last word is “chief.” Paul is describing himself as any sincere believer does--the foremost of sinners, the chief of sinners.

The good news is that we can trust these precious words. Jesus was born in Bethlehem so that He could die on Calvary for you and me.


Chief of sinners though I be, 
Jesus shed His blood for me;
Died that I might live on high, 
Lives that I might never die.
As the branch is to the vine, 
I am His and He is mine.
  (Lutheran Service Book, Concordia Publishing House, 2006, # 611)

Lord Jesus, thank You for shedding Your blood for sinners like me. May I be Yours forever.  Amen.

“See” you at the Communion table this morning.

Pastor David Paape 

The following link is to the 52 Week Bible Reading Plan upon which these devotions are based.  http://www.bible-reading.com/bible-plan.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment