Thursday, November 16, 2023

Friday, November 17, 2023 - Do Not Love the World

 

"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Friday, November 17, 2023 - Day 321 - (Today’s Bible readings: Daniel 11:1-19; Psalm 119:88-96; 1 John 2:15-27)

Do Not Love the World

15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life—is not from the Father but is from the world. 17 And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever. (1 John 2:15-17 ESV)

WOW! John is really giving some challenging advice! He wants us to not love the world and the stuff of the world. What a tall order. All we know first-hand are the things of this world we’re living in.

However, even though God created the world, we humans have messed it up with our sinfulness. One of the clear results have been our insistence on living for ourselves. But God has a far better idea. We get to live for Him by putting others ahead of ourselves. The motivation for is found in the example of Jesus coming down to earth with the sole purpose of dying on the cross in payment for our sins.

Instead of loving the world, we get to love Jesus!

1.     What is the world to me
With all its vaunted pleasure
When You, and You alone,
Lord Jesus, are my Treasure!
You only, dearest Lord,
My soul's delight shalt be;
You are my peace, my rest.
What is the world to me!

2.    The world seeks to be praised
And honored by the mighty
Yet never once reflects
That they are frail and flighty.
But what I truly prize
Above all things is He,
My Jesus, He alone.
What is the world to me!

3.    The world seeks after wealth
And all that mammon offers,
Yet never is content
Though gold should fill it coffers.
I have a higher good,
Content with it I'll be:
My Jesus is my wealth.
What is the world to me!

4.    What is the world to me!
My Jesus is my treasure,
My life, my health, my wealth,
My friend, my love, my pleasure,
My joy, my crown, my all,
My bliss eternally.
Once more, then, I declare:
What is the world to me!
(“What Is the World to Me,” LSB 730)

Lord God, heavenly Father, help me to love You and not the world by trusting in my Savior, Jesus. Amen. 

Pastor David Paape

No comments:

Post a Comment