Friday, November 10, 2023

Saturday, November 11, 2023 - FREE FROM HARASSMENT

 

"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Saturday, November 11, 2023 - Day 315  - (Today’s Bible readings: Daniel 5:1-31; Psalm 119:41-48; 2 Peter 2:1-10)

FREE FROM HARASSMENT

35 And Jesus went throughout all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom and healing every disease and every affliction. 36 When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.  (Matthew 9:35-36 ESV) 

Today’s focus is on a trait of Jesus that has profound implications for you and for all who find themselves harassed and helpless. This Includes all of us at some time or other. But what is the cause of such harassment and helplessness? Look at Peter’s answer:

Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. (1 Peter 5:8) And how does the devil harass us?

● He constantly tempts us to disobey God.
● He tells us that we will be better off without God in our lives.
● He then fills us with the hopelessness that comes from living without God.
● He tries to get us to believe that God doesn’t care about us.

But there is good news. God does care. We have a compassionate Savior. 

When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. 

Because Jesus showed His compassion by dying in payment for the times we gave into temptation, we don’t need to be harassed and helpless any longer, for we are not without a shepherd. Jesus compassionately declared:

I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. (John 10:11)

The blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.  (1 John 1:7b ESV)

Our loving heavenly Father has blessed us with forgiveness and real hope for our future in this life and the next, all because Jesus, His Son, shed His holy and precious blood for us.

1. Glory be to Jesus, Who in bitter pains
    Poured for me the life blood From his sacred veins!

2. Grace and life eternal In that blood I find,
    Blest be his compassion Infinitely kind!

3. Blest through endless ages Be the precious stream
    Which from endless torment Did the world redeem!

4. Abel's blood for vengeance Pleaded to the skies;
   But the blood of Jesus For our pardon cries.

5. Oft as earth exulting Wafts its praise on high,
    Angel hosts, rejoicing Make their glad reply.

6. Lift ye then your voices, Swell the mighty flood;
    Louder still and louder Praise the precious blood. 
    (“Glory be to Jesus,”  Lutheran Service Book 433)

Lord Jesus, thank You for having compassion on me and freeing me from the harassment of the devil.  Please help me to remember all that You have done for me. Amen.

“See” you in church tomorrow!

Pastor David Paape 

No comments:

Post a Comment