Sunday, November 19, 2023

Monday, November 20, 2023 - PERFECT LOVE


"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Monday, November 20, 2023 - Day 324  - (Today’s Bible readings: Nehemiah 1; Psalm 119:113-120; 1 John 4:1-21)

PERFECT LOVE

“There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear.” (1 John 4:18 ESV)

John’s first letter is jam-packed with spiritual gems that are extremely practical and applicable to the Christian’s daily life. Of course this is true of the rest of the Bible as well. Here are some examples from 1 John.

v 4 “Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.” 

v 10 “In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.” 

v 12 “No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us.”

v 15 “Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God.”

v 19 “We love because he first loved us.”

When it comes to the daily pressures we all face, it is certainly assuring to know that “perfect love casts out fear.” 

So, don’t worry, the perfect love of Christ...

   ● sent Him to the cross for sinners like you and me.  
   ● will see you through your daily struggles.
   ● will show itself in us as we live for Him.
   ● will lead others to Him as we model His love.

1. Love in Christ is strong and living, 
    Binding faithful hearts in one;
    Love in Christ is true and giving, 
    May His will in us be done.

2. Love is patient and forbearing, 
    Clothed in Christ’s humility,
    Gentle, selfless, kind, and caring, 
    Reaching out in charity.

3. Love in Christ abides forever, 
    Fainting not when ills attend;
    Love, forgiving and forgiven, 
    Shall endure until life’s end.
    (Lutheran Service Book, CPH, 2006, #706) 

Lord Jesus, thank You for Your perfect love lavished upon this sinful world. As You comfort me with the eternal promises Your love imparts, please use me to share Your love with others. Amen.

Pastor David Paape 

No comments:

Post a Comment