Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Thursday, November 16, 2023 - BLIND HATE

 

"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Thursday, November 16, 2023 - Day 320  - (Today’s Bible readings: Daniel 10:1-21; Psalm 119:81-88; 1 John 2:1-14)

BLIND HATE

“Whoever loves his brother abides in the light, and in him there is no cause for stumbling. But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.” (1 John 2:10-11 ESV)

Activity contrary to John’s clear intent in these verses is rampant in this hate-filled world of ours. We saw it when Hamas cruelly attacked Israel. We see it in the resulting anti-Jewish hate speech coming from so many.  Sadly, we see hatred being fueled by many who should know much better, revealing their choice to live in darkness.

If you were to ask people if they would rather abide in the light instead of stumbling around in the darkness, a good number would choose the light. However the One who does the choosing is not us, it is Jesus. And since He has chosen to make us His own by showering us with His soul-cleansing love, how can we not share His love with others?

So, what is the answer to blind hate? The answer is the love of Christ Jesus, the Lord of all!

1. Love in Christ is strong and living, 
    Binding faithful hearts in one;
    Love in Christ is true and giving, 
    May His will in us be done.

2. Love is patient and forbearing, 
    Clothed in Christ’s humility,
    Gentle, selfless, kind, and caring, 
    Reaching out in charity.

3. Love in Christ abides forever, 
    Fainting not when ills attend;
    Love, forgiving and forgiven, 
    Shall endure until life’s end.
    (Lutheran Service Book, CPH, 2006, #706) 

Heavenly Father, thank You for delivering us from blind hate by means of the hate-conquering love of Jesus. As He has showered His love upon me, may I learn to love others - in His name. Please grant Your peace all places on this earth where hatred is destroying relationships among people. In Jesus’ loving name. Amen.

Pastor David Paape

No comments:

Post a Comment