Monday, November 27, 2023

Tuesday, November 28, 2023 - STAY CLOSE TO JESUS

 

"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Tuesday, November 28, 2023 - Day 332  - (Today’s Bible readings: Nehemiah 6:15-7:4; Psalm 120; Revelation 2:1-7)

STAY CLOSE TO JESUS

“Be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life.” (Revelation 2:10 ESV)

This well-known passage at first does not seem that difficult to follow. Remain close to Jesus until you die, and you will live with Him forever. In fact, this is what I encourage Confirmation students to do when I remind them to “always, always, always, always, always, always stay close to your Jesus.”

This command becomes much more difficult to keep when opposition to Jesus appears and God’s people are subjected to harassment and abuse. The early church, the original hearers of he book of Revelation, knew persecution first-hand. Many had their faith put to the test. Would they remain faithful and face death, or would they deny Jesus and live? What would your answer be?

Paul gives us his answer in Romans 8:18:

“For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.”

Remain faithful and you will live in eternal glory with Him.

1. Jesus, priceless Treasure,
Fount of purest pleasure,
Truest Friend to me.
Ah, how long in anguish
Shall my spirit languish,
Yearning, Lord, for Thee?
Thou art mine, O Lamb divine!
I will suffer naught to hide Thee,
Naught I ask beside Thee. 

4. Hence, all earthly treasure!
Jesus is my Pleasure,
Jesus is my Choice.
Hence, all empty glory!
Naught to me thy story
Told with tempting voice.
Pain or loss, Or shame or cross,
Shall not from my Savior move me
Since He deigns to love me. 

6. Hence, all fear and sadness!
For the Lord of gladness,
Jesus, enters in.
Those who love the Father,
Though the storms may gather,
Still have peace within.
Yea, whate'er I here must bear,
Thou art still my purest Pleasure,
Jesus, priceless Treasure!
(Lutheran Service Books #743)

Lord Jesus Christ, please keep me faithful until the day I die. Protect me from all temptations to deny You. Instead, use me to help others see the importance of faithfully trusting in Jesus as Savior and Lord. Amen. 

Pastor David Paape

No comments:

Post a Comment