Saturday, December 2, 2023

December 3, 2023 - THE FIRST SUNDAY IN ADVENT


"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

December 3, 2023 - Day 337  - (Today’s Bible readings: Nehemiah 8:13-18; Psalm 124; Revelation 3:1-6)
THE FIRST SUNDAY IN ADVENT

“11 Now may our God and Father himself, and our Lord Jesus, direct our way to you, 12 and may the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all, as we do for you, 13 so that he may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints.” (1 Thessalonians 3:11-13 ESV)

Today is the First Sunday of Advent, a time that Christians set aside to prepare for celebration of the coming of Jesus as the Babe of Bethlehem. We get to prepare our hearts and minds to truly celebrate Christmas by focusing on God’s gift of His Son.

Paul’s words to the Thessalonians focus on the HOPE that is ours in Jesus, the Christian hope of heaven when Jesus comes a second time at the end of time. He encourages us to prepare for the end this way:
“Now may our God and Father himself, and our Lord Jesus, direct our way to you, and may the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for  all, as we do for you, so that he may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints.”

Hark the glad sound! The Savior comes,
The Savior promised long;
Let every heart prepare a throne
And every voice a song.

He comes the broken heart to bind,
The bleeding soul to cure,
And with the treasures of His grace
To enrich the humble poor.
(“Hark the Glad Sound,” Lutheran Service Book, #349)

Heavenly Father, thank You for giving me hope by sending Jesus that first Christmas to help me prepare for eternity by dying on the cross and paying for my sins. Bless me this Advent season as You prepare me to truly celebrate the birth of my Savior. Amen.

“See” you at the Communion rail this morning!

Pastor David Paape

1 comment: