Saturday, December 16, 2023

Sunday, December 17, 2023 - PRAY FOR BODY AND SOUL

 

"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Sunday, December 17, 2023 - Day 351  - (Today’s Bible readings: Zechariah 6; Psalm 138; Revelation 13:11-18)

PRAY FOR BODY AND SOUL

“2 Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul. 3 For I rejoiced greatly when the brothers came and testified to your truth, as indeed you are walking in the truth. 4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.”  (3 John 2-4 ESV)

John is writing to Gaius, a faithful leader and worker in the church. The example of prayer for fellow Christians and fellow workers is one worth emulating. And look at what we learn from John’s prayer.  Gaius is walking in the truth, God’s truth, the Gospel truth. So John prays that all may go well for Gaius and that God would grant him good health. But look at his point of comparison: “as it goes well with your soul.”

Could someone pray that prayer for you? Are things going well for your soul? If you are a repentant sinner who is trusting in Jesus for forgiveness and salvation, then things are going well for your soul.

   4. O holy Child of Bethlehem, 
Descend to us, we pray;
Cast out our sin, and enter in, 
Be born in us today.
We hear the Christmas Angels, 
The great glad tidings tell;
O come to us, abide with us, 
Our Lord Immanuel!
("O Little Town of Bethlehem,"  Lutheran Service Book #361-4)

Dearest Lord Jesus, thank You saving me by dying on the cross for me. May it be Your will to watch over me so that things may go well for me, including good health. As I pray this prayer for myself, I ask You to grant these same blessings for _____________. Please help Your people to continue to walk in Your truth. Amen. 

“See” you at the Communion rail this morning!

Pastor David Paape

No comments:

Post a Comment