Sunday, December 31, 2023

Monday, January 1, 2024 - Happy New Year and Happy Eighth Day of Christmas!

 

"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)
Monday, January 1, 2024 - Day 1 (Genesis 1-2 & Matthew 1)
 
Happy New Year and Happy Eighth Day of Christmas! 

One of the great blessings God grants us year in and year out is the opportunity to spend time in His Word, the Bible. Clicking on http://www.wholesomewords.org/family/bibleread/truth.pdf will give you a chart for reading the entire Bible in one year. This year's chart will suggest one reading from the Old Testament and one reading from the New Testament each day. 

How best to begin 2024 - "In the beginning God..." (Genesis 1:1a ESV) 

 ♬ With the Lord begin your task; Jesus will direct it. 
For His aid and counsel ask; Jesus will perfect it. 
Ev’ry morn with Jesus rise, And when day is ended, 
In His name then close your eyes; Be to Him commended. 
(Lutheran Service Book, Concordia Publishing House, 2006, #869) 

New Years Day is also the Eighth Day of Christmas

Eight Maids a-Milking 
(8 Beatitudes)
Seven Swans a-Swimming 
(7 Gifts of the Spirit)
Six Geese a Laying 
(Six days of Creation)
Five Golden Rings 
(The Pentateuch... first 5 books of the Bible)
Four Calling Birds 
(The 4 Gospels... Matthew, Mark, Luke and John)
Three French Hens 
(The Holy Trinity... Father, Son and Holy Spirit)
Two Turtle Doves 
(The Old and New Testaments)
A Partridge in a Pear Tree. 
(OUR LORD JESUS)


Why maids a-milking on the Eighth Day of Christmas?

On this day we remember the eight Beatitudes found in Matthew 5:3-12.

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 
Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. 
Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. 
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied. 
Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy. 
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. 
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. 
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  (Matthew 5:3-10)

This looks like a pretty good list of New Year’s resolutions. May you be blessed as you “work” at these by prayer, meditation on the Word, and by helping others in the name of the Lord.

Dear Holy Spirit, please work in my life in this new year so that I may be blessed by the Lord. Please make my heart pure as I hunger and thirst after Your righteous ways. Above all, remind me of sin and of my need for Jesus my Savior. Amen.

0 Lord Christ, our Savior dear,
Be Thou ever near us.
Grant us now a glad new year.
Amen, Jesus, hear us! (Lutheran Service Book, CPH #390)

Pastor David Paape  
Daily Bible Reading Chart covering the entire Bible in one year. 

2 comments:

  1. May God's love be with you always. Keep sharing this year. Thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your wonderful ministry!

    ReplyDelete