Saturday, December 23, 2023

Sunday, December 24, 2023 - THE HOLY NIGHT

 

"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Sunday, December 24, 2023 - Day 358  - (Today’s Bible readings: Isaiah 7:10-14; Psalm 110:1-4; 1 John 4:7-16, Matthew 1:18-25)
 
THE HOLY NIGHT

8 And in the same region there were shepherds out in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. 9 And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were filled with great fear. 10 And the angel said to them, “Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. 11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. 12 And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger.” 13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying,
14 “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!”  (Luke 2:8-14 ESV)

Tonight is Christmas Eve, THE HOLY NIGHT, the night of our dear Savior’s birth. Do you remember the account of the shepherds? God chose to announce the birth of His only begotten Son to common people, simple shepherds, emphasizing the fact that Jesus came for all people, from all backgrounds. On January 6th we will be celebrating the arrival of the Wise Men, reminding us that THE GIFT of CHRISTmas is for ALL nations too.

These words are, therefore, meant for you! "Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. 11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.” The angels announced the birth of Christ YOUR Lord. So...

Come to Bethlehem and see
Him Whose birth the angels sing;
Come, adore on bended knee,
Christ the Lord, the newborn King.
Gloria in excelsis Deo!
Gloria in excelsis Deo!

The hymn echos the words of Luke:
“Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!”  (Luke 2:14 ESV)

O holy night! The stars are brightly shining,
It is the night of our dear Saviour’s birth.
Long lay the world in sin and error pining,
‘Til He appear’d and the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
O night divine, O night when Christ was born;
O night divine, O night, O night Divine.

Because of THE HOLY NIGHT, we can confidently pray this prayer:

Be near me, Lord Jesus, I ask Thee to stay
Close by me forever, and love me, I pray.
Bless all the dear children in thy tender care,
And take us to heaven, to live with Thee there. Amen.

May almighty God bless your worship of Jesus as you attend church on this HOLY NIGHT!

Pastor David Paape

No comments:

Post a Comment