Thursday, December 21, 2023

Friday, December 22, 2023 - JESUS IS COMING


"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Friday, December 22, 2023 - Day 356  - (Today’s Bible readings: Zechariah 11; Psalm 143; Revelation 18:1-24)

JESUS IS COMING

And he (John the Baptist) went into all the region around the Jordan, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. As it is written in the book of the words of Isaiah the prophet, “The voice of one crying in the wilderness: ‘Prepare the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.’” (Luke 3:3-4)

John the Baptist was sent to prepare the way for Jesus, to let people know that the promised One, the Messiah, was coming.

In Advent we sing hymns like the one below reminding us that Jesus did come to bless all who repent and believe, and that He will do the same again on the last day.

Once He came in blessing,
All our sins redressing;
Came in likeness lowly,
Son of God most holy;
Bore the cross to save us;
Hope and freedom gave us.

Come, then, O Lord Jesus,
From our sins release us.
Keep our hearts believing,
That we, grace receiving,
Ever may confess You
Till in heav'n we bless You. Amen.
(“Once He Came in Blessing,” Lutheran Service Book #333, 1&4)

Pastor David Paape

No comments:

Post a Comment