Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Thursday, December 21, 2023 - RELEASE


"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen." (Luther's Morning Prayer)

Thursday, December 21, 2023 - Day 355  - (Today’s Bible readings: Zechariah 10 Psalm 142; Revelation 17:1-18)

RELEASE

Bring me out of prison, that I may give thanks to your name!
 (Psalm 142:7 ESV)

David cries out to the Lord, His refuge, and pleads for release from the prison of persecution. In the reading from Acts, Peter is miraculously delivered from an actual prison. 

And behold, an angel of the Lord stood next to him, and a light shone in the cell. He struck Peter on the side and woke him, saying, “Get up quickly.” And the chains fell off his hands.  (Acts 12:7 ESV)

Similarly, Jesus proclaimed the reason He came down to earth that first Christmas with these prophetic words:

The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound.  (Isaiah 61:1 ESV)

You can rejoice that Jesus has released you from the prison of sin, death and the devil!

He comes the prisoners to release,
In Satan's bondage held.
The gates of brass before Him burst,
The iron fetters yield.
(Hark the glad sound!  Lutheran Service Book #349 - 2)

Thank You Lord Jesus for releasing me from my self made prison of sin. Amen.

Pastor David Paape

No comments:

Post a Comment