Saturday, September 10, 2016

September 11, 2016 - WE MUST NEVER FORGET


Day 255 - Titus Sunday

“Declare these things; exhort and rebuke with all authority.”  (Titus 2:15 ESV) 

Today is the fifteenth anniversary of September 11, 2001. Most of us, I am sure, remember exactly what we were doing when we first heard the news that our country was under attack. It was a day that filled us with fear, foreboding, sadness and anger.

That evening, like many other congregations around our country and the world, we gathered in church for a special service of the Word and prayer. On the way to church, I passed a gas station with a long line of cars. While our first reaction to the tragedies of 9/11 was to turn to God, others could only think of running out of gas.

What a striking contrast between God’s people and those who do not know Him. Our Bible verse for today was written to encourage Titus to never forget the truth that Jesus “gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness.” (verse 14) May you and I never forget either as we attempt to be His love to the hurting people we see all around us. 

In the past fifteen years our world has not gotten safer. We continue to have to deal with terrorism, hatred, war, and all other forms of evil. But Christ is still our Redeemer. We can still trust in His steadfast love to deliver us. So, on this September 11th, let’s start the day right:

I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen.   (Luther’s Morning Prayer) 

“See” you in church this morning... Outdoor Service (9 am) and Picnic at St. Paul’s

Pastor David Paape 

The following link is to the 52 Week Reading Plan Bible upon which these devotions are based. http://www.bible-reading.com/bible-plan.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment