Saturday, September 3, 2016

September 4, 2016 - WERE YOUR EARS BURNING?


Day 248 - 2 Timothy Sunday (chapters 3-4)

“For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.” (2 Timothy 4:3-4 ESV)

I hope that your ears were not burning, that these words of warning were not spoken of you! But they were spoken about someone. They refer to people who want to be spiritual. The problem is that they want to do this on their terms and not on God’s terms. So they find preachers who will tell them

● that sin is no longer sin,
● that God is more interested in their earthly success than being prepared for heaven,
● and that God couldn’t possibly condemn sinners who do not repent to hell.

The graphic shows the satanic influence behind such lies. Unfortunately, too many people are seeking out and then buying these lies. The results are the same as when the first man listened to the liar. The result is the doom of sin, death and the devil! (Did you notice the number of snakes?)

I pray that your ears are not burning, nor that they are itching for myths being peddled as truth all around us. Instead, may your ears be blessed with hearing the words that you and I truly need to hear.

“I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” - Jesus  (John 14:1 ESV)

“The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.” - Jesus  (Mark 1:15 ESV)

“I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live,26 and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?” - Jesus  (John 11:25-26 ESV)

Now those are words that we sinners desperately need to hear, believe and confess!

Lord Jesus, thank You for dying in my place on the cross in payment for my sins, and for providing the words I need to hear. May Your ears be “burning” with my unending praise for all that You have done for my salvation.  Amen.

“See” you at the Communion table this morning.

Pastor David Paape 

The following link is to the 52 Week Bible Reading Plan upon which these devotions are based.  http://www.bible-reading.com/bible-plan.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment