Monday, December 19, 2016

December 20, 2016 - FOR SUCH A TIME AS THIS


Day 355 - Esther Tuesday (1-5)

“And who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this?” ... “Then I will go to the king, though it is against the law, and if I perish, I perish.”  (Esther 4:14-16 ESV)

Esther was the Jewish queen of King Ahasuerus of Persia. His second hand man, Haman, has it in for the Jews and is planning to have them eliminated. Esther’s uncle, Mordecai, talks her into approaching the king unannounced in an effort to intercede for her people. 

Mordecai’s famous words motivated Esther to dangerous action, for approaching the king unannounced could have fatal consequences. But, as Mordecai said, perhaps Esther was living at that time, in that place, to fulfill this special purpose for God.

“And who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this?”  What plans does God have for your life? What is His timing for your life? Answers to questions like these are found in studying the Bible, attending church, seeking advice from fellow Christians (maybe even your pastor) and reading devotional booklets like Portals of Prayer.

And how are we to respond if we are sure that the Lord would have us do something dangerous for Him? Look at Esther’s response to Mordecai again. “If I perish, I perish.”

Esther knew an important truth for God’s people. We can’t lose. As a friend once said before undergoing surgery, “If I make it, I serve Him. If I don’t make it, I see Him.”

Heavenly Father, help me to see Your perfect timing in my life. May I, like Esther, follow Your plan no matter what the consequences may be. Above all, sustain my faith in Your promise of heaven through faith in Jesus my Savior.  Amen.

Pastor David Paape

The following link is to the 52 Week Reading Plan Bible upon which these devotions are based. http://www.bible-reading.com/bible-plan.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment