Friday, June 3, 2016

June 4, 2016 - CHIEF OF SINNERS


Day 156 - Luke Saturday (chapters 7-8)

“Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven–for she loved much. But he who is forgiven little, loves little.” (Luke 7:47  ESV)

“Jesus teaches that even notorious sinners can be forgiven and restored; indeed, they sometimes become all the more devoted to God for having received greater deliverance. His teaching challenges us to consider: 

●  Do we act like the begrudging Pharisee or the grateful penitent?

●  Do we trust that God can truly change people’s lives? 

By God’s spirit, we grow daily in our appreciation of the fact that ‘where sin increased, grace abounded all the more’ (Romans 5:20).”  (The Lutheran Study Bible, Concordia Publishing House, 2009, page 1724) 

“Your faith has saved you, go in peace.” (Luke 7:50  ESV)

Those are Christ’s words to you and to all who are willing to admit their desperate need for forgiveness.

Chief of sinners though I be,  Jesus shed His blood for me;
Died that I might live on high, Lives that I might never die.
As the branch is to the vine, I am His and He is mine.
(Chief of Sinners Though I Be, Lutheran Service Book, CPH 2006, #611)

Heavenly Father, I thank You for Your priceless gift of forgiveness. Jesus, thank You for shedding You precious blood for this poor miserable sinner. May I be Yours forever. Amen.

“See” you in church tomorrow.

Pastor David Paape 

The following link is to the 52 Week Reading Plan Bible upon which these devotions are based.  http://www.bible-reading.com/bible-plan.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment