Tuesday, January 10, 2017

January 11, 2017 - GOD WORKS THROUGH OUR MISTAKES


Day 11 - Genesis 27-28 & Matthew 9:18-38

“So Jacob went near to Isaac his father, who felt him and said, “The voice is Jacob’s voice, but the hands are the hands of Esau.” And he did not recognize him, because his hands were hairy like his brother Esau’s hands. So he blessed him. He said, “Are you really my son Esau?” He answered, “I am.” Then he said, “Bring it near to me, that I may eat of my son’s game and bless you.” So he brought it near to him, and he ate; and he brought him wine, and he drank.   Then his father Isaac said to him, “Come near and kiss me, my son.” So he came near and kissed him. And Isaac smelled the smell of his garments and blessed him.  (Genesis 27:22-27 ESV)

“So he blessed him.” What else could Isaac do? He had told Esau to harvest some game and prepare it for him. Even though the voice was not right, the game, the ruddiness and the clothing were right. Based on the best information he had, Isaac blessed Jacob instead of his first-born, Esau.

Was this a mistake? Not really, God never makes mistakes. He had chosen Jacob’s line to produce the Messiah. Yes, Esau is cheated out of his birthright, but God’s plan is fulfilled.

How do you look at the mistakes in your life? Can God work through your mistakes? Can He use a sinner like you for His divine purposes?

“And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.”  (Romans 8:28 ESV)

Heavenly Father, impress upon me the example of Isaac’s deception. Grant me the peace of knowing that You are working in my life, even though at times I may be deceived. Above all, I thank You for dealing mercifully with my sin by means of the cross of Your Son, my Savior, Jesus. Amen.

Pastor Dave Paape

Daily Bible Reading Chart
http://www.wholesomewords.org/family/bibleread/truth.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment