Saturday, January 28, 2017

January 29, 2017 - GOD’S NOT FAIR


Day 29 - Exodus 19-21 & Matthew 20:1-16

Now when those hired first came, they thought they would receive more, but each of them also received a denarius. And on receiving it they grumbled at the master of the house, saying, ‘These last worked only one hour, and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the day and the scorching heat.’ But he replied to one of them, ‘Friend, I am doing you no wrong. Did you not agree with me for a denarius? Take what belongs to you and go. I choose to give to this last worker as I give to you. Am I not allowed to do what I choose with what belongs to me? Or do you begrudge my generosity?’ So the last will be first, and the first last.”   (Matthew 20:10-16 ESV)

1)  Billy got a bigger piece of pie than I did. IT’S NOT FAIR.

2)  The new guy got the promotion. IT’S NOT FAIR.

3)  Supposedly he was converted to Christ just before he died. IT’S NOT FAIR.

A lot of things in life are not fair. That is just a reality of life. As for the third example, it is right. It is not fair that a person could be saved just before they die. 

We need to remember that God is not fair with ANY OF US. Yes, God’s not fair, and that’s a good thing. If He dealt fairly with us, we would all be heading for hell. Instead, all believers in Christ have received what we do NOT deserve, the forgiveness of our many sins and the totally undeserved promise of heaven.

By grace I'm saved, grace free and boundless;
My soul, believe and doubt it not.
Why stagger at this word of promise?
Hath Scripture ever falsehood taught?
No! Then this word must true remain;
By grace you too will life obtain.
(The Lutheran Service Book, Concordia Publishing House, 2006 hymn #566, stanza 1)

Heavenly Father, thank You for not being fair to me and giving me what I deserve. I praise You for sending Jesus to suffer the torments of hell for sinners like me. Help me every day to remember, celebrate and share Your free and boundless grace. In Jesus’ saving name.  Amen.

“See” you at the Communion table this morning.

Pastor David Paape

Daily Bible Reading Chart
http://www.wholesomewords.org/family/bibleread/truth.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment