Monday, January 23, 2017

January 24, 2017 - PERSISTENT, HUMBLE PRAYER


Day 24 - Exodus 1-3 & Matthew 15:21-39

And behold, a Canaanite woman from that region came out and was crying, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David; my daughter is severely oppressed by a demon.” But he did not answer her a word. And his disciples came and begged him, saying, “Send her away, for she is crying out after us.” He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” But she came and knelt before him, saying, “Lord, help me.” And he answered, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and throw it to the dogs.” She said, “Yes, Lord, yet even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters’ table.” Then Jesus answered her, “O woman, great is your faith! Be it done for you as you desire.” And her daughter was healed instantly.  (Matthew 15:22-28 ESV)

The Canaanite woman gives us an excellent example of persistent and humble prayer. She asks Jesus to have mercy and respond to her daughter’s desperate need. Even though she receives no answer, she continues to cry out for healing. When reminded that she was not of the house of Israel, she responds with a humble analogy. “Even the dogs eat the crumbs from their masters’ table.” Her persistence pays off and her daughter is healed.

What do you do when the Lord doesn’t seem to answer your prayers?
Are your prayers peppered with humility? “I don’t deserve _____, but please have mercy on me too.”

Remember God’s promise to you: “Call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me.” (Psalm 50:15 ESV)

Lord, may I, like the Canaanite woman, be blessed with a great faith that trusts in You not only for this life, but even more so, for the life that is to come. Amen.

Pastor David Paape

Daily Bible Reading Chart
http://www.wholesomewords.org/family/bibleread/truth.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment