Monday, May 9, 2016

May 10, 2016 - COVER-UPS DON’T COVER ANYTHING

Day 131 - 2 Samuel Tuesday (chapters 10-14)

“But the thing that David did displeased the Lord.” (2 Samuel 11:27b  ESV)

David was guilty of lust, adultery, attempted deception, murder, and an attempted cover-up. But it didn’t work. Appealing to the king’s remaining sense of justice, the prophet Nathan gets David to condemn his own sin by making a proclamation about one who would abuse another (2 Sam. 12:1-6). To which Nathan replies: “You are the man!” (12:7)

We operate in a similar way. Whatever our sins may be, we try to cover them up, at least in our own minds.  “It isn’t so bad.” “I’m not such a bad person.” “Surely God can look the other way this time.”

“YOU ARE THE MAN!”

What can we do when God blows our cover? What can we do when He confronts our sin?

Like David, we have the opportunity to stop hiding and unburden our consciences.

“David said to Nathan, ‘I have sinned against the Lord.’ And Nathan said to David, ‘The Lord also has put away your sins; you shall not die.’” (1 Samuel 12:13-14 ESV)

This is why Jesus went to the cross... to pay for all of our sins, including our attempted cover-ups. As with David, there may be grave consequences to our sins, but the sin itself has been removed for all who repent and trust in Jesus for forgiveness.

Lord God, heavenly Father, may Your Holy Spirit guide and direct me away from temptation and sin. When I do sin, work in my heart the immediate desire to confess my sin to You and not attempt to cover it up. Please protect me from sin and the consequences that follow sin as I live my life with Jesus. In His saving name I pray. Amen.

Pastor David Paape 

The following link is to the 52 Week Reading Plan Bible upon which these devotions are based.  http://www.bible-reading.com/bible-plan.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment