Monday, May 2, 2016

May 3, 2016 - ALWAYS AT HIS TABLE

Day 124 - 2 Samuel Tuesday (chapters 5-9)                                                                            

And David said to him, “Do not fear, for I will show you kindness for the sake of your father Jonathan, and I will restore to you all the land of Saul your father, and you shall eat at my table always.” (2 Samuel 9:7)

“David learns that Jonathan’s son is alive and immediately gives him the lands of Saul and brings him to dine at his table for the rest of his life.  
We should show such love to our potential enemies.  
Just as David invited Mephibosheth to eat at his table, the Lord Jesus invites us to eat at His table, where He serves us His body and blood.”  
  (The Lutheran Study Bible, Concordia Publishing House, 2009, page 499)

Oh what blessings the Lord bestows on those who are always at His Communion table!

Here, O my Lord, I see Thee face to face;
Here would I touch and handle things unseen;
Here grasp with firmer hand the eternal grace,
And all my weariness upon Thee lean.

Here would I feed upon the bread of God,
Here drink with Thee the royal wine of heaven;
Here would I lay aside each earthly load,
Here taste afresh the calm of sin forgiven.
(Lutheran Service Book, CPH 2006, #631)

Gracious Lord, thank You for Your standing invitation to dine with You. Thank You for the treasures of faith and forgiveness that I find at Your Communion table. May I follow David’s example and share Your blessings with others. Amen.

Pastor David Paape 

The following link is to the 52 Week Reading Plan Bible upon which these devotions are based.  http://www.bible-reading.com/bible-plan.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment