Monday, May 23, 2016

May 24, 2016 - THE LORD IS YOUR ROCK


Day 145 - 2 Samuel Tuesday (chapters 20-24)

“The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,  my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge, my savior; you save me from violence. I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies."   (2 Samuel 22:1-4 ESV)

The results of David’s sin were wide spread. He suffered treachery and betrayal at the hands of King Saul, his own flesh and blood - his son Absalom, and from the likes of “worthless men” like Sheba (1 Samuel 20). Even more so, he was the victim of the treachery and betrayal that emanated from his own heart. He needed help. He turned to God and found the rock solid refuge he so desperately was looking for. “I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies.” 

Where do you do when treachery and betrayal surrounds you - especially the kind that starts from within your heart? Like David, call upon the Lord because...

The Lord is your rock and your fortress.
He is your deliverer and your God. 
You can take refuge in Him.
God is your shield and your salvation.
Jesus is your stronghold, your refuge and Your Savior.
He is your Rock of Ages.

Rock of Ages, cleft for me, 
     Let me hide myself in Thee;
      Let the water and the blood, 
      From Thy riven side which flowed,
      Be of sin the double cure; 
     Cleanse me from its guilt and power.
(Rock of Ages, Cleft for Me, The Lutheran Service Book, Concordia Publishing House, 2006, #761, stanza 1)

Lord God, I call upon You today to deliver me from all treachery and betrayal, including my own. Thank you for sending Jesus to be my rock and my salvation by paying for my sins. Amen.

Pastor David Paape 

The following link is to the 52 Week Reading Plan Bible upon which these devotions are based.  http://www.bible-reading.com/bible-plan.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment