Thursday, July 29, 2021

Friday, July 30, 2021 - DELIVER ME FROM MY ENEMIES

 

Day 211 (Through the Bible in a year readings for today: Psalm 59-61; Acts 28:16-31)

DELIVER ME FROM MY ENEMIES
Deliver me from my enemies, O my God;
    protect me from those who rise up against me;
deliver me from those who work evil,
    and save me from bloodthirsty men.
(Psalm 59:1-2 ESV) 

David’s cry for deliverance from his enemies could well be the cry of persecuted Christians around the world today. While our religious freedom is under attack in our country, it cannot be compared to what Christians in Muslim countries face if they do not convert to Islam.

The hymn writer followed the example of David’s prayer in this manner:

  Preserve, O Lord, your Zion,
  Bought dearly with your blood;
  Protect what you have chosen
  Against the hellish flood.
  Be always our defender
  When dangers gather round;
  When all the earth is crumbling,
  Safe may your Church be found.
   (“Preserve Your Word, O Savior,” Lutheran Service Book, CPH 2006, #658, stanza 3)

Almighty God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, thank You for being my Deliverer from sin, death and the power of the devil. Please preserve Your Church and deliver my brothers and sisters in Christ from the dangers that are gathering around them. In Jesus’ saving name. Amen. 
Pastor David Paape

Daily Bible Reading Chart covering the entire Bible in one year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment